Green Hill Cemetery, l851 to the present. The simple iron fence with cast posts survives. It was ordered placed in position on Nov. 1, 1902. The present handsome Shingle Style lodge is from the same era . . .
Contact our caretakers to find friends, family, or historical figures. Please include their first name, last name, and date of death in the email.
Green Hill Cemetery
Green Hill Cemetery Historic District is a national historic district located at Martinsburg, Berkeley County, West Virginia. The 15-acre (6.1 ha) site encompasses two contributing buildings, one contributing site, and 22 contributing objects. The rural cemetery was designed in 1854 by David Hunter Strother modeled on a French cemetery. It includes a Neoclassical Revival style mausoleum (1917-1918) and a Shingle Style caretaker's lodge (1901). The cemetery includes a number of notable monuments, as well as the graves of Strother and his family. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980.
Our Celebrated History
Green Hill Cemetery was established in 1854. It is the second oldest Cemetery in Martinsburg. Since then the acreage has grown to about 17 acres of natural beauty. Created during the era of the Rural Cemetery Movement in the US, it is the only Cemetery in Martisnburg with a mountain view.